Profitable Preparedness Podcast – Episode 35
Special Advisory – Preparing for Frigid Temps and Polar Vortex
Where we help hardworking people in the preparedness community to break out of corporate America to live a totally free life.
What is a polar vortex?
Is it new?
Polar vortex 2015
Polar vortex 1985
Climate change is occurring!
Climate studies and meteorology
How much is man made?
- We have only been tracking weather for a few hundred years
- We only recently started calculating wind chill
How to prepare:
- Getting your furnace in shape
- Water storage
- Back Up heat
- Back up Power/Electricity
- Back up lighting (flash lights/candles)
- Test everything before you need it
- Make sure you have food that you can eat unheated if necessary (think canned goods)
- Have a manual can opener
- Make sure you have snacks and games for kids so they don’t drive you crazy
- If you have a gas stovetop you can still cook (electric out of luck)
Do not rely on electric space heaters
If you lose power:
– Make your heating area small
– Think about thermal mass
– Check with municipality for warming centers
Keep updated on changes in weather through a NOAA weather radio or your cell phone. Charge any necessary items before the weather hits.
Stay safe and stay off the road. Breaking down in these temps can be life threatening.
-40 windchill – 10 minutes with exposed skin for frost bite
-50 windchill – 5 minutes
-55+ windchill – 2 minutes
2018 – 2019 – Profitable Preparedness Inc. – All Rights Reserved